Thank you for your interest in Phillip Roy, Inc. education materials.
As we develop our materials we include research-based strategies such as those identified by Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory (NWREL).
For example NWREL has identified the following key research-based strategies that impact on student achievement – helping all students, in all kinds of classrooms. We take these identified strategies and connect them to practice through our materials in order for you to get the best results for your students.
This includes such strategies as:
- Thematic Instruction
- Identifying Similarities and Differences
- Summarizing and Note Taking
- Reinforcing Effort and Providing Recognition
- Providing Homework and Practice
- Using Both linguistic and Nonlinguistic Representations
- Incorporating Cooperative Learning
- Setting Objectives and Providing Feedback
- Generating and Testing Hypotheses
- Using Cues, Questions, and Advance Organizers
- Offer Simulations and Games
We at Phillip Roy, Inc. believe that education needs to:
- Go beyond the traditional skills.
- Be relevant to the students’ needs and interests.
- Help the students succeed in becoming productive citizens.
- Help the students live long, successful and productive lives.
- Increase the students’ self-esteem and feelings of self-worth.
- Prepare students for school and successful school experiences.
- Prepare students to earn a living by increasing their vocational skills,
entrepreneurship skills, academic skills, social skills, and life skills.
In addition to including the research-based strategies in our materials we also follow the basic principles of successful learning:
- Learning needs to be activity-based.
- Learning needs to include cooperative learning opportunities.
- Learning is dependent on situations that are meaningful to the student.
- Learning needs to address attitudes and values.
- Learning needs to develop critical thinking skills.
- Learning is affected by developmental stages
- Learning is affected by evaluation strategies.
- Learning is dependent on developing communication skills.
- Learning is reinforced through integrated experiences.
- Learning needs to be promoted without gender bias.
Our materials are aligned to Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS), The Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE), Job Corps Career Success Standards, and other assessment and standards as appropriate.
Thank you again for your interest in Phillip Roy, Inc. and if you need any additional information please contact me or Dr. Phil Roy
Ruth Bragman, Ph.D.